Here are a few ideas to consider if you’re looking to have a sustainable landscape.
In general, rain is good for the yard. It provides all the plants and grass with the needed water for growth.
Here is how to deal with the rain sustainably:
1. Rain Gardens - they filter and slow down rainwater pouring off roofs, across lawns, and paving.your landscape.
2. Rain Harvesting Tanks & Systems - rain collection tanks are great for capturing water from rooftops and storing it for use either for a water feature or irrigation.
Permeable paving is a sustainable landscaping option because it allows rainwater to permeate through the surface, reducing the amount of runoff that enters storm sewers and ultimately reducing the risk of flooding.
Here are some of the other benefits of permeable paving:
1. Some systems can take up to 11 inches of rainwater per hour.
2. They can help recharge groundwater aquifers.
3. They allow vegetation to grow through the surface, which helps to improve the overall health of the ecosystem nearby.
When creating a sustainable landscape, it is important to choose plants that are well-suited to the local climate and soil conditions. It’s also important to use plants that are not invasive and do not displace native species.
Some good options to consider include the following.
Part of sustainability is using high-quality local suppliers for products for your landscape. Local means less shipping-related costs to you and our environment. Aside from this, you’ll want to look for materials that are either built to last or if they do break down, they won’t negatively affect the soil or environment.
LED lighting provides ambient lighting at a 75% reduction in energy use for longer, compared to conventional low-voltage halogen bulbs. LED landscape lighting is the ultimate sustainable solution – attractive, and cost-effective with little or no maintenance all while utilizing little energy!
If you are looking at getting any of the previous solutions installed, we'd be happy to turn your environmentally friendly vision into reality. Whether it is weekly maintenance, colorful annuals for a party, or a spruce-up for a special occasion, we’re here to care for your garden and lawn for years to come. Here at American Gardens we develop your custom maintenance plan, schedule appropriate services, and assign an Account Manager to your property.